Date:      Thu, 01 Mar 2001 16:59:48 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        "Peter C. Lai" <sirmoo@cowbert.2y.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd weirdness

Ummm, I could be wrong, but most of this seems consistent with what
you did...

> Now, because i had built world with OpenSSH 2.3.0, i no longer needed the
> ssh 1.x port, so i deleted it using pkg_delete -f. The uptime on the box had
> been several weeks.

Fine.

> I reboot the machine to use the new kernel, and 1. sshd is NOT running,
> because in rc.conf, sshd_enable is set to OFF for some reason, and 2. when i
> try to ssh in from a location on the same subnet, I am told the fingerprint
> has changed.

sshd_enable is set to OFF because you removed the package, I would assume...

> Furthermore, because i deleted the ssh port, /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sshd.sh got
> removed, which is expected.

No, this is the bit that's wrong.  This is the startup script for OpenSSH,
and should not have been removed.

> I didn't know if "SSHD_ENABLED" was already set to "NO".

Since this controls whether sshd 1.x is running, it would have been changed
when you removed the package.

> could my deleting the port have anything to do with OpenSSH starting?

Maybe, but you seem to have misunderstood which settings are for which
SSH.

> I checked /etc/ssh and all the keys have not been modified with a new
> timestamp.

That's because they belong to the version 1.x ssh, which you don't run
any more.  Look in /usr/local/etc for OpenSSH files.

> this is puzzling...

Not particularly...

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319