Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 15:15:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      bsd@web1.valley-internet.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   apache 1.3.3 slows down entire 2.2.8 system.

apache 1.3.3/php2/php3.   After converting one of our bsdi boxes to 2.2.8
and installing a fresh copy of apache, the whole system just slowed to a
crawl.  Cgi scripts were consuming all the cpu, and the load average shot
up to around 10.  This was with an average of 55 total processes.  System
is a P200/128mb ram, 4gb IDE.

Out of just not knowing what else to try, I stripped the apache binary
which was just over 2mb, which left an 840k binary, and restarted the
server.  Everything then went back to normal.  Load average down to .40
on the average, and the system is fast again.

Any idea why an unstripped apache would cause the whole system to just
slow to a crawl?  This is a lightly loaded system with 128mb of ram, and
top showed no swapping at all.

Chris