Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:15:06 +0100
From:      "Thomas Sandford" <freebsduser@paradisegreen.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Why is GNATs refusing my posts?

I recently tried to send a PR (for an updated port), and got the following
response:

--- 8<---------------
This is a canned auto-reply to your recent email to the bug submission
address.

Your message has been identified as likely spam and has been discarded.

If you feel this is an error, please submit your report via the web
interface or directly on the freebsd-bugs mailing list.

--- 8<---------------

Frankly this is just DUMB. Autoresponding to (as opposed to bouncing) spam
is most likely going to hit someone other than the spammer.

It gives me ZERO information as to why the mail system didn't like my post,
so I have no means of working out what I should change to appear less like a
source of spam.

Since the mail sent was a properly formatted PR (generated by
devel/porttools), and the mail system got as far as accepting my email
before generating an autoresponse, it could/should at least have parsed the
email to see if it looked like a PR before rejecting it.

Furthermore it doesn't even seem to be consistent, since a PR submitted the
self same way about 4 days ago got through just fine.

I've now got to rewrite the "description" part of the bug submission (since
it didn't copy my message back to me) and try and work out a way of getting
past the filter (there's no point in trying to submit the PR through the
web, as the web form clearly states "Note: copy/paste will destroy TABs and
spacing, and this web form should not be used to submit code as plain
text.").

Spam is a major, worldwide problem - but transferring the problem to someone
else is NOT a solution.

Oh - and if you hadn't guessed - this has really cheesed me off!
--
Thomas Sandford