Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 08:33:51 -0800
From:      Tait Larson <tait@wego.com>
To:        timcm@umich.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing from cd-rom...it worked under openbsd

timcm@umich.edu wrote:

> Well Matsushita Cd drives are supported with the matcd driver which
> must be built into the kernel to work I believe.  But if 581 is the
> model number then that drive is not supported under the matcd driver.
> Check the model number info and try  man matcd

The cd rom is actully made by MATSHITA (or so dmesg says) I double checked.

>         Is the drive SCSI or ATAPI?  OpenBSD uses a SCSI emulation layer of a
> sort to talk to ATAPI CD drives.   You may want to look into just
> getting another ATAPI CD drive as they are pretty cheap.

It's ATAPI.  I'm trying to run freebsd on an old 120 mhz pentium compaq 9234.

>         Have you tried a verbose boot to see what it sees for your CD drive?
> At the boot prompt "press any key to get a prompt, do so and type boot
> -v to boot verbosely.  Use the scroll lock key to stop the dmesg
> scrolling accross your screen and either write it down or make a fixit
> floppy and use that when you get to sysinstall.  That will get you to a
> shell prompt and you can access dmesg from there.  I do find it strange
> the fixit floppy doesn't have the more utility, but oh well.  It has
> sed and that can be used the same.   dmesg | sed 20q   is effective.
> I don't know how to save the dmesg to another floppy, but at least this
> way you can see it.
>         Let us know the output of the dmesg after a verbose boot. Maybe that
> will help.   (If you have not already gotten a satisfactory reply)

Well, I tried this.  I made the fixit floppy and successfully got to the shell.
I tried to run 'dmesg' and got a 'segmentation fault' and 'core dump'.  I
figured that the fixit disk might be crappy so I recreated it and got the same
results.

I'm willing to give up on the cd based install.  I've brought my computer into
work.  I'm going to try a NFS or FTP install.

However, there's a chance that I'll want a cdrom drive in the future.  Could
someone recommend an inexpensive ATAPI cdrom drive that works under freebsd?  I
don't care about the speed too much.

Thanks for the help,

Tait