Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 10:25:53 -0400
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <hawk@hawkins.ds.psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   fumbling around  to find the start of my slice

I've tried here before, but I've figured out a bit more since then.  Or
should I try the developer's list?

Windows thwacked my partition table, overwriting it with nonsense.  I
didn't realize this at first, as the bootloader sort of worked--I had
to manually tell it the root device, as it kept trying to default to
3a rather than 3c.

I've recovered s1, a very dated debian distribution (bo?) with ufs
support.  s2 is an unimportant windows install, but usable.

The problem is that I don't have the exact end of the windows
partition, and therefore don't know exactly where the UFS slice starts.
I do, however, know to within a couple of megs where it must start from
the known sizes of the partitions.  I also know the size (4G) of the
UFS partition.

Is there a way to read the raw device, either from linux or the
installation disks, and find something indicating the start of the UFS
slice?  Or perhaps to use a linux script to start creating a UFS
partition entry, attempt to mount, and increment if not successful?  Or
should I be asking this question on another list? :)

There's really only one file that's important to recover--my completed
tax return.  Unfortunately, it's a staroffice spreadsheet, and not a
text file :(

hawk