Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 00:08:39 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>
To:        btwo cfuor <c4_b2@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: x-windows

On 1/20/00, 11:43:24 PM, btwo cfuor <c4_b2@yahoo.com> wrote regarding
x-windows:

> Hi there
> i want to ask a simple question on x-windows. the
> defult interface I'm using is KDE how do i switch to
> gnome or other interfaces that i have do i have to
> edit a file or is the a utility like the one in linux
> so you can switch from an interface to another

> thankz for your time

Dear Sir,

the "method" to switch between graphical interfaces is
"CTRL-ALT-Function_Key". That is, if you are simultaneoulsy logged
in as user "tom" running KDE, user "dick" running gnome, and user
"harry" running some_other_GUI, you can switch between users by
hitting the appropriate CTRL-ALT-Function_key. If you even have
some more consoles running, you only need to hit simply
"ALT-Function_key" to go from one of these to one of your GUIs.
Needless to say, you **first** have to edit your /etc/ttys file and
turn off as many consoles as needed -- depending on how many GUI users
you wish to run at the same time.

The way you manage the GUIs is a matter of taste. You might use kdm
("man kdm"), or other display managers (e.g. found in the Ports
Collection).

Personally, I no longer like them (for flexibility reasons). To
get the same result, in principle, you should manually change
**one** line in your ~/.xinitrc, e.g. substituting "exec
gnome-session" for "exec startkde". However, it should not be
difficult to find a better equivalent way to obtain the same effect.

Please note: my_fake_domain =3D=3D=3D> neomedia.it to e-mail to me.

Yours faithfully
Salvo Bartolotta