Date:      Sat, 04 Nov 2000 17:17:44 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dog bite?

On 11/4/00, 5:30:38 PM, Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote regarding Re:
dog bite?:

> > rip.psg.com:/root# su
> > fresh 4.1-beta as of today.
            ^^^^^^
          4.2-beta, I suppose.

> > make.conf has MAKE_KERBEROS4=3Dyes
> >
> >     # su
> >     /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libkrb.so.3" not found
> >
> > and
> >
> >     % cvs update config
> >     /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libkrb.so.3" not found
> >
> > my only clues are that
> >   o /usr/lib/libkrb* does not exist
> >   o /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 seems not to have been updated by make
world

> so who the heck is the file ld-elf.so.1 and why does it hate me?  :-)

> i just did a full cvsup and re-build and single user mode install, and=

the
> one from 29 oct is still there.  so shared libs are not rebuilt?

Dear Randy Bush,

203 5:53pm ~ >=3D=3D=3D=3D> apropos ld-elf
ld-elf.so.1(1), rtld(1) - run-time link-editor

206 5:57pm ~ >=3D=3D=3D=3D> whereis ld-elf.so.1
ld-elf.so.1: /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1
/usr/share/man/man1/ld-elf.so.1.1.gz

<man ld-elf.so.1>

RTLD(1)                 FreeBSD General Commands Manual
RTLD(1)

NAME
     ld-elf.so.1, rtld - run-time link-editor

DESCRIPTION
RTLD(1)                 FreeBSD General Commands Manual
RTLD(1)

NAME
     ld-elf.so.1, rtld - run-time link-editor

DESCRIPTION
     ld-elf.so.1 is a self-contained shared object providing run-time
     support for loading and link-editing shared objects into a
     process' address space.  It is also commonly known as the dynamic
     linker. It uses the data structures contained within dynamically
     linked programs to determine which shared libraries are needed
     and loads them using the mmap(2) system call.

[...]

</man ld-elf.so.1>

I haven't MAKE_KERBEROS=3D  yes in my make.conf; I have no idea what
actually/specifically is causing your problem. But somebody else on
the list (if he/she is on-line) will help you out :-)

Best regards,
Salvo