Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2001 22:56:34 -0400
From:      Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
To:        FreeBSD Advocacy <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Microsoft

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 02:08:35AM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> People that get hooked (addicted) to drugs can't get off of them even if
> they want to.  But software is a different matter - nobody is holding a gun
> to their heads and telling them that they _have_ to keep using Microsoft
> software.

True, but there are a number of services that run poorly or not at all
unless you use Windows. I have even hit US Government and State of
Virginia web pages that I was unable to read from my UNIX box, and there
are plenty of basic services (financial organizations for example) that
require Windows, or are very difficult to use without it. This has been
getting slowly worse as time goes on.

Granted, there are emulators available, but let's face it: they suck,
and they don't always work.

Even some services available on the WWW run poorly unless you use a
browser like IE, and I mean government sites, not just commercial ones.

--
 "There is no such thing as security.  Life is either bold           | | |
 adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"                        | | |