Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 2014 16:21:01 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, michelle@sorbs.net, lists@opsec.eu
Subject:   Re: ports/189880: port pgpool-II out of date.

--MWUGIb48Rl2P6fL6RARplDi20uNVU9lCo

Heh.  I was just starting to look at writing a pgpool-II-33 port, but it
seems you have beaten me to it.

On 15/06/2014 15:29, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Hi!
>=20
>>> Second step: merging the diverse set of pgpool related ports into one=
 ?
>=20
>> Maybe pg-pool-II and pg-pool-devel...?  (3.1/2 in stable and 3.3 in
>> devel - until it changes?)

pgpool-II has 3 stable releases at the moment 3.1.10, 3.2.8, 3.3.3
which are all still receiving updates.

> I assume that all the pgpool ports can be consolidated into one (3.3).
>=20
> Maybe if we start by DEPRECATing the old ones to find out who
> still wants them ? Bcc to kuriyama...

There's a number of things wrong with this port, some inherited from the
pgpool-II port you copied, and some where you're using outmoded construct=
s.

    - You should probably have USES+=3Dpgsql and WANT_PGSQL=3Dclient rath=
er
      than USE_PGSQL.

    - You don't need the empty CONFIGURE_ARGS=3D and LIB_DEPENDS=3D
      assignments.

    - Install docs unconditionally to staging rather than examining the
      state of the DOCS option.  Whether docs get installed finally is
      handled in the post-staging steps.

    - Use options helpers rather than if $(PORT_OPTIONS:MFoo).  Eg.
      instead of

=2Eif ${PORT_OPTIONS:MSSL}
USE_OPENSSL=3D    yes
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=3D--with-openssl
=2Eendif

      use:

SSL_CONFIGURE_WITH=3D    openssl
SSL_USE=3D               OPENSSL=3DYES

      and similarly for the PAM option.

      (You used helpers for LIBMEMCACHED stuff but not the others?)

      You can then dispense with '.include <bsd.port.options.mk>' line

    - The port cannot be staged as a non-root user.  This is due to the
      way the contrib Makefiles are written -- although elsewhere it
      uses standard autoconf stuff, which pretty much just works for
      staging purposes.

      Probably the best way to fix this is to use ${INSTALL_LIB}
      or ${INSTALL_DATA} directly from the port's Makefile and bypass
      that install target entirely.  It's only 6 files in total
      affected by this.

    - The .if exists(...) section has the same effect in either branch
      of the .if statement.  You can just make that bit unconditional

    - There's a duplicated entry in the CONFLICTS line

    - portlint complains about the wrong sort of  whitespace in the
      WWW: line in pkg-descr

    - You can make libtool automatically strip shared libraries on
      installation by adding:

MAKE_ENV=3D      INSTALL_STRIP_FLAG=3D${STRIP}

      This respects local debug settings, so users can build and
      install an unstripped version if they so desire.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.