Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:11:44 -0500
From:      Brian Dean <bsd@bsdhome.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   puc/sio driver - receives but doesn't send

Hi,

I just got a Syba 2 port serial I/O card, from dmesg:

  puc0: <NetMos NM9835 Dual UART and 1284 Printer port> port 0x7000-0x700f,0x7400-0x7407,0x7800-0x7807,0x8000-0x8007,0x8400-0x8407,0x8800-0x8807 irq 5 at device 15.0 on pci0
  sio2: type 16550A
  sio3: type 16550A

The above dmesg line is not 100% correct - the card does not have a
parallel port, just 2 serial ports.

Using either of the available 2 ports, I'm able to receive data, but
it doesn't want to transmit.  I've tried everything I can think of,
which includes:

	* both with and without the PUC_FASTINTR kernel option

	* ensure flow control lines are correct / ignored

	* using a loopback handshake cable (just in case)

If I hook one of the SIO ports on the PUC to one of the serial ports
on the motherboard, and open 'tip' on each one, what I type on the
motherboard serial gets displayed on the PUC serial port tip session.

However, when I type in the PUC serial port tip window, no data comes
though on the motherboard serial tip.  But when I run systat, I can
see the puc0 device getting interrupts on irq 5 when I'm typing
characters, as if it is sending the characters.

Also, I have verified with a seperate microcontroller serial device -
the PUC port is receiving data fine from the microcontroller, but it
is not sending to the microcontroller for some reason.

Anybody have any ideas what might be wrong?

And yes, the motherboard serial ports both work as expected using the
same cables, etc.

I'm running 4.9-STABLE from a few days ago.

Thanks,
-Brian
--
Brian Dean