Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2000 20:28:07 -0500
From:      Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        Bob@buckhorn.net, TONY SIM <y2s@prodigy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a question

This may sound lame.  I learned the basic Unix commands from the book Unix
for Dummies.  It was quite useful for me and quick to simply get an idea of
the commands in Unix and what some of their DOS equivalents are (which was
good because I was very familiar with DOS so it made it a lil easier for me)

Jim

At 10:32 16-01-00 -0600, Bob Martin wrote:
> > TONY SIM wrote:
> >
> > i just got a freebsd 3.3 some weeks ago, but it was kinda hard to
> > use....  it is currently installed in my old computer so i can learn
> > how to use it without interrupting my school work (i'm just a high
> > school student)
> >
> > i was wondering, however, if there was a news letters that can teach
> > novice, like myself, to use unix or define terms 'n uses in unix...
> > (i still don't understand where or how to use vi or emacs...  i mean,
> > what r they for?  r they like edit.com in dos?  oh, 'n they are only 2
> > out of million things i am confused about...)
> >
> > sorry to trouble you...  i'm just really excited to have unix which
> > sounds so legendary, yet very frustrated because i can't use it....
> > thanx a lot for reading thus far...
> >
> > have a nice day ^^
>Tony,
>You have to learn Unix pretty much the way you learned Windows. First,
>see if you can find someone that knows Unix, and ask them to help.
>Second, experiment. And of course, read the documentation. If you have
>trouble finding the documents on your machine, you can get them online.
>Try this for starters:
>http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html
>There is an e-mail list for newbies. Send e-mail to
>majordomo@freebsd.org with the following line (and only this line) in
>the body:
>subscribe freebsd-newbies
>
>Here are a few pointers to help you get started.
>Nearly all "commands" live in directories named "bin" for example,
>/usr/bin and /usr/local/bin. The following list of commands will help
>you out.
>whatis  --This command will give you a brief description of what a
>command does. Example: whatis vi
>more    --This command is used to read text files one page at a time.
>Works a lot like type | more in dos. Example: more /COPYRIGHT
>man     --This command will give you the manual page for all kinds of
>things. To find out more type man man
>
>Good luck!
>--
>Bob Martin, bob@buckhorn.net
>http://www.buckhorn.net
>
>"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
>War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
>                 -- Albert Einstein

Today's errors, in contrast:
Windows - "Invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at 0032:A16F2935"
UNIX  - "segmentation fault - core dumped"
Humanous Beingsus - "OOPS, I've fallen and I can't get up"