Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 15:44:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading from 2.1-stable to 2.2-stable remotely?

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Gary Schrock wrote:

> Is there any good way of upgrading a system from 2.1-stable to 2.2-stable
> when you don't have console access to the machine?  I've got a machine that
> would definitely see some benefits in upgrading, but which I don't really
> have access to (the machine's in california, I'm in michigan), and unless
> we want to pay someone on site exorbiant fees to do the upgrade for us it
> would be difficult to do unless it was done remotely.
>
> Any thoughts?
> Gary Schrock
> root@eyelab.msu.edu

Yes--get the sources, do make world without going to single-user mode,
rebuild the kernel, reboot the machine.  Somewhere along the line you'd
want to merge the new stuff in etc with the old.

Guess you would want to make sure there's no floppy in the A drive and
a cd in the cdrom drive if /cdrom if mentioned in /etc/fstab.

I've done this fairly often, but I'm only 10 minutes from the
computer :)  I try to be careful about changes to config files.

	Annelise