Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 00:11:44 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Marty Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>, newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing X

On Fri, Jun 12, 1998 at 07:45:43AM +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 1998 at 12:29:30AM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 10, 1998 at 11:12:45AM -0400, Marty Poulin wrote:
> > > Ok - what would be *really* helpful would be some sort of instructions
> > > on how to install X.  Is it available as a package or a port, what is
> > > needed in preparation, where to get it... - a complete break
> > > down of the steps required.
> >
> > Ignoring the issue of acquiring the actual tarballs for X, what's wrong
> > with the instructions that come with it at the moment?
>
> Which instructions? Where? Are they in the Handbook or FAQ?
> (It's a while since I've done a new installation)

README.FreeBSD that comes with the X distribution (it's not in the
FAQ or Handbook, although the Handbook does point you at the
documentation on the XFree86 site).

README.FreeBSD is > 850 lines in length and contains sections

  1.  What and Where is XFree86?
  2.  Installing the Binaries
  2.1  Full Install:
  2.2  Minimal Install:
  2.3  After either Full or Minimal Install above:
  3.  Installing The Display Manager (xdm)
  4.  Configuring X for Your Hardware
  5.  Running X
  6.  Rebuilding Kernels for X
  7.  Building X Clients
  8.  Thanks

which seems to be pretty comprehensive.

You are in a maze of twisty signature files all the same.
--
You are in a maze of twisty signature files all alike.