Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 21:04:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        Tor.Egge@idi.ntnu.no, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Do *you* have problems with floppies?

> Any suggestions toward identifying FDC's with FIFO's? Preferably without
> taking something apart?

Augh.  Read the code!

The driver already does what little chip detection is possible!

It uses the 0x10 command to identify the chip version.

Only the Intel 82077AA has FIFO's (the 82078 des to, but I don't
know what the heck it returns for a version ID -- anyone have one?).

All other FDC chips with FIFO's are unprobeable, unless they
return a version ID.

When you boot, you will see one of:

fdc0: NEC 765
fdc0: Intel 82077
fdc0: NEC 72065B
fdc0: unknown IC type ff

...or *whatever* two digit hex value, other than  0x80, 0x81, or 0x90.

The current driver code does not enable the FIFO.  It would need to
have detected as an 82077, and then use the Configure command (0x13)
to clear bit 5 of command byte 2.  It would set bits 0-3 to enable
a 16 byte threshold.  Then it would need to use the Lock FIFO command
(0x94) to save the FIFO state across software resets.

Then there would be additional code changes, as necessary, on top of
that.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---