Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 19:16:04 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        alk@pobox.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: transparent color pixmaps

Tony Kimball:

sfarrell+lists@farrell.org:
 |vi for the former, and gimp for either.
 |
 |Here's an example pixmap (that "none" will be transparent):

Sorry--a week late chiming in on this thread.

For GIFs, there's giftrans and gifmerge (among others I'm sure).
Command-line utils that'll let you specify a color in the image to make
transparent and generate a new GIF.

gifmerge (as the name implies), also allows you to combine multiple
single-frame GIFs into an animated GIF.

Probably an easy find in Lycos, DejaNews, or Yahoo (if we don't have a
port).  If not, let me know and I'll e-mail you the src tarballs.

Randall