Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 18:23:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        James C Meetze <jcmeetze@InfoAve.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help !!!

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, James C Meetze wrote:

>Hi my name is Charles.  I have recently installed FBSD, and have had a
>time trying to get audio cds to play thru the xwindows application ( xcd
>).  The hardware is an Intel Pent 200 cpu, 48meg ram, ide
>hardrive(master) and ide cdrom (slave).  I can mount the cdrom and ls
>files on data cd's all day.  but I cannot find a mount string for the
>cdrom when I want to play audio cds.  The cdrom is probed as wcd0.  Or
>am I barking up the wrong tree.  Are there any ide cdroms that can play
>audio on FBSD ???  I also have the sound blaster16 configured in the
>kernel.  And the system probes it at its right addr and irq.

Ensure the drive is not mounted before starting xcd.

I am familiar with xmcd, not xcd, but I will try this. Look in the source
code for a README or the Makefile. There is probably some comment about
defining your cd drive.

Most of these programs assume '/dev/cd0' which is wrong for folks like us.
Change the appropriate setting to read '/dev/wcd0'. Also, make sure that
you have sufficient perms for the wcd0 device.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/