Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 14:01:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CTC Linux Mandate

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Chris Coleman wrote:

> Just a sour note.
>
> The CTC (Community and Techinical Colleges), an organization with lots of
> beurocracy, is trying to decrease their web traffic through the use of
> Squid.  So now they have mandated that all community and technical
> colleges must have a LINUX box on campus to run this program.  The real
> problem is that the people at the CTC don't know a thing about Linux.
> They are forcing it becuase the people at the U of Washington Support it,
> and they can ask questions to them. Luckily we already run squid on
> FreeBSD and had the mandate waived for us.  They are also very worried
> about the Ping-o-Death.  Is FreeBSD really immune to the ping-o-death, and
> is Linux not?  This might help us turn them from the darkside. :-)

As far as I remember, Linux 2.0.0 (the first Linux 2 kernels) was
vulnerable to the 'ping-o-death'. I know FreeBSD 2.2 and beyond are
definately not, and I'm fairly certain FreeBSD 2.1.x (including 2.1.5, and
2..1.6 and even 2.1.0) are not vulnerable. Yeah!

FWIW, a lot of people are running Squid on FreeBSD with lots of success.
If you're trying to get the CTC to not run Linux, just read the GPL to
them... it's certainly one of the main reasons I don't run Linux and do
run FreeBSD (aside from the bazillions of technical motivations ;-)

-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark
	"I prefer tongue-tied knowledge to ignorant loquacity."
						Cicero (106-43 B.C.)