Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 14:07:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Marx <kmarx@bigshed.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        kmarx@ankimo.bigshed.com (Kenneth J Marx)
Subject:   4.x tail -F / forward.c

Hi,

There appears to be a difference in /usr/bin/tail -F between 4.0 and 4.1+.

It's not updating the inode it's doing the tail -F on when the inode changes.
(E.g., if you tail through a soft link and the link moves.)

This doesn't match the man page:

 -F      The -F option implies the -f option, but tail will also check to
         see if the file being followed has been renamed or rotated.  The
         file is closed and reopened when tail detects that the filename
         being read from has a new inode number.  The -F option is ignored
         if reading from standard input rather than a file.

I just rebuilt a version from a 4.0 soure tree I have, and
that works. The difference is in /usr/src/usr.bin/tail/forward.c.
The one that doesn't work is: $FreeBSD: src/usr.bin/tail/forward.c,v 1.11.6.1 2000/07/18 21:49:41 jlemon Exp $. The working 4.0 one has no cvs info.

I don't know if this is as it should be. A quick slog throught the
freebsd archies shows only a discussion of -f in CURRENT, and a reference
to a version of /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_event.c,v 1.14 that doesn't easily
compare to our 4.2 kern_event.c,v 1.2.2.4. Doesn't seem relevant...

I'll use my 4.0 version of tail, but thought someone might know
or care what the real deal is.

thanks,
k.

--
Ken Marx, kmarx@bigshed.com
I am not the Oracle of Delphi but I can tell you that we intend to pro-actively