Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 05:40:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Christopher Nehren <apeiron@prophecy.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/40421:

The following reply was made to PR ports/40421; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Christopher Nehren <apeiron@prophecy.dyndns.org>
To: Alex Dupre <sysadmin@alexdupre.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: 11 Jul 2002 08:39:34 -0400

 > So, check to have installed the latest 1.3.4 libtool port. This error
 > should appear everytime you want to compile a port that use FreeBSD
 > libtool. Maybe you have redefined the LIBTOOL variable.

 Yes, I see what you mean now. Up until recently I was doing "su -" to
 achieve root status, but switched to plain "su". I had installed a 1.4.2
 version of libtool in my home directory and placed that libtool in my
 path. Since I had placed the privately installed libtool in my
 (non-root) path, the su that didn't read the profile was using my 1.4.2
 libtool.

 But that raises two other questions. First, why can't the port use a
 1.4.2 libtool? Second, I know the Makefile for devel/libtool says that
 it needs more testing before it will be updated to 1.4.x (which is
 needed to build the CVS of things like gaim, py-gtk, and others). The
 1.3.4 libtool has been out for 3 years. How much more testing is needed?