Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 13:35:35 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Rob Andrews <rob@cyberpunkz.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch/Announcement for DHCPD remote root hole?

At 11:03 AM 5/15/2002, Rob Andrews wrote:

>Why is it that you complain about these same issues over and over
>and get answers but seem to ignore them..

Not so.

>  A user that installs
>a fresh system should always take the time to update a system
>to the current cvs branch with the latest updates for either -stable
>or -release.

CVSup is a programmer's tool, not an administrator's tool. And it is
certainly not a tool for newcomers. It makes the learning curve far
too steep -- especially if the person doing the install is just learning
UNIX. Use of CVSup should not be necessary to do a secure install of
the system.

Also, as I mentioned in an earlier message, there is absolutely no
reason to supply buggy, dangerously insecure versions of packages
by default. All we're doing is hurting users.

>When you have a "release" version on CD you can't pull all those
>cd's back in, make the changes and send them back out to the stores
>now can you?

No, but you can make it easy to update. In fact, there's good reason
for /stand/sysinstall to take users out onto the Net and help them
secure the system.

Antivirus programs, which are also sold in CD form, do this. The vendor
knows that the day after the CD is pressed (maybe even BEFORE the CD
is pressed; it takes time to make a master), there's a new update. So,
the first thing the program does is try to update itself via the Net.

>Same logic applies to an ftp install of the released
>version of FreeBSD.

There's almost no reason -- ever! -- to do an FTP install of -RELEASE
rather than -RELEASE-pN if patches exist. The FreeBSD Web site should
steer those who are interested in installing via FTP to the latest
patched release by default. Only if they *specifically ask for* the
unpatched release should they get it. Otherwise, again, we are doing
them a disservice and tarnishing FreeBSD's reputation.

--Brett Glass