Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 2003 12:19:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, imp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about devd concept

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Oliver Brandmueller wrote:

> Sorry for answering my own mail now.
>
> On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 03:19:24PM +0100, Oliver Brandmueller wrote:
> >         action "/usr/local/etc/netconf/bin/netconf $device-name start";
>
> David Wolfskill gave a good pointer, that devd starts before all
> non-root disks are mounted. I'm just trying to move my script to the
> root partition (for the moment I move it to /etc/netconf/ just to test
> it). Although the scripts works when manually started after booting I
> have still no evidence it is even called on boot, but for the moment I
> suspect my script maybe has some problems in that early stage and I will
> try to give it some debugging stuff.
>
> I'll keep you informed 'bout my findings.

I ran into a similar problem, actually -- programs like dhclient rely on
being able to write to lease and pid files.  It's almost as though we'd
like an additional set of events when the system is "more booted".  I.e.,
a devd event for each device when the network is started, etc.

Actually, I suspect what we want is to have a seperate network event
management daemon -- arrival of the device is not the same as arrival of
the interface.  dhclient events (and related things) should happen as a
result of the interface arriving, not the newbus device arrival.  I.e., a
netd that listens to routing socket and kqueue events relating to the
network stack.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories