Date:      20 Jul 2000 10:46:20 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        "R. D. Davis" <rdd@smart.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.x to 4.0

"R. D. Davis" <rdd@smart.net> writes:

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Dan O'Connor wrote:
> > I've heard one way is to upgrade to 3.5-STABLE, then upgrade again to
> > 4.0-STABLE (soon to be 4.1). Rumour has it 2.2.x to 4.0 direct isn't
> > feasible.
>
> That's what I'm discovering... a bit too late, alas for my crashed
> system.  It would have been helpful if a note about this had been
> included with the 4.0 distribution, suah as in a README file, or at
> least on the CD package or in the ordering info.

Actually, this is specific to source upgrades.  Binary upgrades should
work okay, although third party software may need to be deleted and
reinstalled.

> I hate to say this, but this experience has made me think that perhaps
> I should stock up on more old Sun 4 hardware and rely more on an old
> version of Solaris for safeguarding my data.  Hopefully someone from
> this list, or someone developing FreeBSD can help change my mind about
> this.

It makes perfect sense, but you could just as easily stay with an old
version of FreeBSD as stay with an old version of Solaris.  If they do
the job (and, of course, they aren't on the Internet), there's no
reason to update.

Major OS upgrades are always capable of giving you problems, and you
should always do them with plenty of backups on the shelf.  Anyone who
thinks they can upgrade a machine to a 2+-year-newer version of its OS
without some risk of problems has little experience of doing it; under
*any* OS.

Be well.