Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 19:30:53 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, mistwolf@ethereal.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A suggested kernel enhancement relating to kernel panics.

In message <19990617211655.A9746@dan.emsphone.com>, you wrote:

>In the last episode (Jun 18), Greg Lehey said:
>> That's normal.  When you panic, you stop writing to disk (except for
>> the dump).
>
>Maybe he's not panicing then.  I've had my BSD box do a spontaneous
>reboot on me once or twice.  This kind of crash is mighty hard to debug
>though, since it doesn't leave anything to debug :)

It is hard for me to know if _that_ (spontaneous reboot) is happening or
not because (as I said earlier) I am _not_ configured to get panic dumps
at present.

The reason I am not so configured is that my physical memory is bigger
than my swap partition.  So it looks like I am SOL as far as getting a
panic dump, even if the system _is_ panicing (which I am still not even
sure of).

A footnote:  I made some modest changes to my heavy-load-inducing application
program to prevent it from trying to initiate too many TCP connections
during any given wall-clock second, and now everything appears to be running
peachy again.

I suspect that the earlier panics and/or spontaneous reboots I was seeing
much have been due to _some_ very obscure kernel (or perhaps even CPU) bug
that _only_ makes itself apparent under _very_ heavy interrupt loads.

If short, when you push the envelope and go where no man has gone before,
you are likely to find stuff that nobody has ever found before.