Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 16:06:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Morten Seeberg <morten@seeberg.dk>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SGI Donated Journalised FS Source to Linux

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, David Kelly wrote:

> Moved to -chat.
>
> Tani Hosokawa writes:
> >From what I understand, it's going to be GPL'd.
>
> Oh? Where did you hear that?

I think I misread something.  Here's what I actually saw:

"All the development that SGI is doing on the Linux kernel will be
released under GPL, and that includes page cache and buffer cache
changes we might be making for XFS. Note however that XFS itself
is not part of the kernel but rather a loadable module. The terms
of the XFS license are still being reviewed by our legal staff.

thx,

Dan Koren                                        Dan.Koren@sgi.com
Engineering Manager, File Systems        phone: (USA) 650-933-3678
Silicon Graphics, Inc.                   pager: (USA) 888-769-0874
1600 Amphiteatre Pkwy. M/S 08U-500       or dkoren_p@pager.sgi.com
Mountain View, CA 94043-1351               fax: (USA) 650-933-3542"

So, on second glance, I guess they're not necessarily releasing it under
the GPL.  They've got a separate license for the XFS code, and GPL for
some kind of interface code, or something.

> http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/1999/may/xfs.html says:
> > License and Availability
> >     SGI will begin to offer code later this summer
> >     and meet the license guidelines set-forth by
> >     the Open Source Initiative.
>
> http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,0-36807,00.html?st.ne.ni.lh says:
> > While SGI's announcement will come tomorrow, the
> > software itself won't be available for download
> > until the summer. SGI still is deciding how to
> > structure the open source license, the company
> > said, though it is sure to meet the requirements of
> > the Open Source Definition, a spokesman said.
>
> While the above are liberally sprinkled with the word, "Linux", the SGI
> press release does not say XFS is being contributed to Linux, but "to
> the Open Source Community." Big difference. The news article appears to
> have taken liberties attributing XFS to Linux as it was announced at a
> Linux show. You know the media can't tell the difference between
> FreeBSD, Linux, Macintosh, and Chernobyl. :-)
>
> When its released and when the details of the license are published,
> then there may be a race to see who can implement it in Linux and the
> BSD's first. However I suspect SGI has people implementing it in Linux
> this very moment and will run under Linux the instant it is publicly
> released.

Yes, there are SGI people working on it right now (some of them have
mentioned their work on linux-kernel).

> I have used SGI's XFS for several years and been quite happy with it.
> So happy I got lazy and quit making separate root, var, and usr
> filesystems. (SGI ships Irix that way too). Three years, 30 systems,
> the only filesystem loss was when somebody yanked a SCSI cable on an
> active disk THEN plugged it back in hot.
>
> Then again I haven't run that many FreeBSD systems but have a similar
> track record with filesystems. Prior to March 1995 I ran Linux until it
> ate my filesystems 3 times in one week. Never could get Linux running
> well enough to do any work. First week with FreeBSD was rough. But
> clear sailing and all smiles ever since.

Argh... yes, the Linux filesystem.  Maybe this'll even the playing ground
a little :)

---
tani hosokawa
river styx internet