Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 17:53:27 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'Frankie Li' <notme@lvdi.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: quota not working properly

To quote the web page.

"At this point you should reboot your system with your new kernel. /etc/rc
will automatically run the appropriate commands to create the initial quota
files for all of the quotas you enabled in /etc/fstab, so there is no need
to manually create any zero length quota files. "

You have not does this.  You either rebooted before editing the /etc/rc.conf
and/or /etc/fstab file, or you just haven't rebooted at all.  :P

-Chris