Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:27:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dave Hummel <dhummel@ppgweb.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Oracle DBD (or how to connect to Oracle Database)

Hi,

I'm sure this problem is shared by many: We want to run more (all?) of our
webservers on FreeBSD but we _must_ be able to connect to an Oracle
Database (on Solaris) with mod_perl. Has anyone been able to get DBD::Ora
going? The best solution would be DBD::Ora compiled/distributed in such a
way that the webserver need not have Oracle installed on it. I intend to
pursue this, but I'm wondering if someone more clever than me has done it
already.

Or is there another solution entirely?

Ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Dave

p.s. - <rant> The fact that Oracle doesn't support FreeBSD is reason
enough in my eyes to refrain from using their product (c'mon, at least
make client libs available). I feel like I should support opensource and
FreeBSD-friendly companies like MySQL, but this does me no good for sites
currently running Oracle.</rant>