Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 11:56:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Bruce M. Walter" <walter@fortean.com>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about shutdown

> Would you like me to submit this to the FreeBSD ports collection?

Since I developed it specifically for FreeBSD, I had hoped it would
eventually find it's way into the system in some capacity.

The problems with adding it to the ports collection are twofold:

1) It requires a kernel patch to perform "safe" shutdowns...  This is
   because of the way other drivers use the at_shutdown interface and
   these patches should first be part of the system.  Even if nothing
   ever comes of my code, the capacity still exists for a program to
   assume it can poweroff when it really can't.

2) I've not got the time to really polish this code right now.  I'd love
   for it to be an ongoing project for which I can offer all of the
   resources for it's continued development.  Unfortunately my current
   workload prohibits my direct involvement for a little while longer.
   (aint that always the case :)

When I have more time, I'll see if I can't clean it up a bit.  In the
meantime, if anyone wants to hack on, please let me know.  I can offer
coordination and repository services while I'm to busy to hack.

- Bruce

|| Bruce M. Walter         ||   426 South Dawson Street ||
|| Principal               ||   Raleigh, NC 27601 USA   ||
|| NIXdesign Group, Inc.   ||   Tel: 919.829.4908       ||
|| Concept + Code          ||   Fax: 919.829.4993       ||