Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 12:55:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        James A Wilde <james.wilde@telia.com>
Cc:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>, Scott <scotte@speakeasy.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Help with partitioning schemes

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, James A Wilde wrote:

> Useful analysis, thanks, Conrad.  But what about /opt?  I don't have your
> background, but I seem to see a lot of stuff which goes to /opt. Or does one
> make /opt a symlink to /usr?

What goes in /opt?  I think that's an -ism from a different os....
It is, however, useful to have a separate slice, if you have one
available, for /usr/local or /usr/home or whatever you think you might
need.  If you reinstall, the slice (dos partition) is destroyed.  If you
have a separate /usr/local, including /usr/local/home, you can keep your
home directories and installed software and whatever else you choose to
stash there and reinstall /, /var, /usr.  With this scheme /usr needs to
have space for /usr/src and /usr/obj (maybe 200+ megabytes each) if you
want to rebuilt the system from source; you might want room for /usr/ports
there too, which needs space for at least the distfiles it's currently
working with.  That might be another 150 megs or so, assuming you have
somewhere else to stash distfiles you want to keep.

	Annelise