Date:      10 Apr 2005 15:44:07 +0100
From:      Richard Caley <richard@caley.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Having problems with user PPP to private network in 5.4-STABLE

Has there been a change in user-ppp or general networking behaviour
between 4.* and 5-STABLE which might explain why I can't talk to a
private network's PPP server from a 5.4 machine when I can from a 4.11
machine using the same ppp.conf etc?

I can connect and all looks fine WRT routing and ifconfig etc. but I
can't even ping the machine at the far enf of the PPP link.

I can connect to and use a real ISP, so the modem seems to be fine. I
was connecting to this private network from here using this modem and
this ppp.config on a 4.8 machine on friday, and can connect now from a
4.11 machine.

The only vaguely interesting things about the connection are that I am
using a USB->serial adapter to hook up the modem, and that the remote
network uses non-routable addresses in 192.168.16.0/24 and hands me
192.168.16.104 as my address. Is something defaulting to blocking
communication with non-routable addresses in 5.*?

I have added an ipfw rule to log all packets in and out down tun0 and
the ping packets seem to go but nothing comes back. So it looks like
the problem is at the PPP level or below.

Eventually the modem connection jams up, looks like the problem
discussed recently on the freebsd-usb list WRT USB->serial
converters. However, given that I can dial an ISP and talk to web
sites etc. I presume that is not the actual show-stopper.

Here are some relevent settings as they appear after I connect, there
are other interfaces and routes, but I think they are irrelevent.

smurf/~# ifconfig
[...]
tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.16.104 --> 192.168.16.7 netmask 0xffffffff
Opened by PID 3939
[...]

smurf/~# netstat -nr
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif Expire
default            82.41.210.1        UGS         1    30778    rl1
[...]
192.168.16         192.168.16.7       UGS         0        0   tun0
192.168.16.7       192.168.16.104     UH          1        0   tun0
[...]

--
Mail me as MYFIRSTNAME@MYLASTNAME.org.uk        _O_