Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:43:00 -0500
From:      Jim Trigg <jtrigg@spamcop.net>
To:        Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usernames and aliases etc.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 10:22:11AM -0500, Laszlo Vagner wrote:
> While hosting mail for several domains, a local user
> with an account name of say "biz" has a domain of say "domain.com"
> would receive mail from other domains hosted at the same site
> such as "biz@otherdomain.com".
>
> What I am looking for is a general setup criteria that would eliminate this
> behavior so that biz@otherdomain.com would be rejected even though
> otherdomain.com is hosted on the same server but has no username of biz.
>
> One thing I thought of would be to use strange local usernames and
> then create virtual users that point to them.
>
> can anyone give me a suggestion on standard practice with this?

It depends on what smtp software you're using.  What you describe sounds
like the only way to do it with sendmail; I use postfix which supports
it natively without jumping through hoops.  (I also find postfix a lot
easier to configure.)

Jim Trigg
--
Jim Trigg, Lord High Everything Else  O-          /"\
                                                  \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN