Date:      24 Jan 2001 09:43:15 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: questions-digest V5 #43 [Should have been: Losing FTP (last step to security)]

jshenry@net-noise.com (J. Seth Henry) writes:

> This is an easy one - sftp. It is included in every distribution of ssh that
> I've seen, and works just like traditional ftp.

Only of the ssh2 protocol.  The ssh implementation in the recent
FreeBSD base system, for example, doesn't include it.

I tend to find scp more convenient for my purposes anyway, but that's
because I usually know the exact names and locations of files before
the transfer.

The original poster had asked:

> Now that I've wrapped pop3 and IMAP in SSL, my last unsecure service
> is FTP.  What are people using as a replacement to transfer files?
> I am particularly interested in a method that could be recommended to
> my Windows users (i.e. need some graphical client for Win).

and there are, indeed, graphical sftp clients for Windows, although I
don't know if any are free.  It's probably more common to use SMB
networking and try to make it safe by aggressive firewalling (and
tunneling, if necessary).  There are other possibilities that might be
useful in some circumstances, like wrapping the FTP control
connections and not worrying about the data, using HTTP for file
sharing, and probably dozens of others, but the "best" answer is
definitely subject to local requirements.