Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 15:22:55 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Gernot Hueber <hueber@riic.at>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP problem

Gernot Hueber writes:
> Hello!
>
> Im want to use the FBSD server allowing internet connection, mailserver,
> etc. for a small network with windows clients using 4.2 release of FBSD
> on the server.
> I installed a Fritz PCI isdn card.
>
> I tried user ppp which claims a authentication FAILURE when connecting
> to the isp. (I tried the same login/passwd with kernel ppp and the
> authentication was ok?!). Why does kernel ppp work and user ppp does
> not? Actually I want to use user ppp.
> (I think user PPP version is 2.2.7)

Who knows ? With the little bit of information which you provide there's
no way for anyone to help you. Try turning on debugging in ppp.conf
(read the man page). This will probably give you a clue as to what
is going wrong.

> Using kernel ppp I have unwanted dial ins (netstat -nt shows no
> connections). Are there broadcasts from the windows clients bringing up
> the kernel ppp connection. How can I find out who brings the connection
> up.

Simply deny all incoming connections. Read the idsnd.rc man page to
find out how.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj@jennejohn.org gj@freebsd.org