Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 20:58:00 +0200
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & X

At 30/05/99, you wrote:
>Chris Costello writes:
>
>> get it to work on my system at last try!), because GNOME is
>> rather (terribly, completely, dreadfully, grievously) unstable on
>> non-Linux platforms.
>
>	That's an understatement.  GMC core dumps regularly, and Windowmaker
>	dies (taking X with it) every couple of hours on my box (1600x1200x32),
>	while KDE runs stable for weeks at a time (though it's a memory hog).

I think windowmaker (0.53.0) is quite stable... it never crahs my box
(which is up with X running 24/7) with Xfree 3.3.3.1 and Xaccel 5.01.

I used kde once, but the orrible way it installs (everthing scattered in
/usr/local and not in a /usr/local/kde, pehaps with symlink in /usr/local)
prevent me to use it anymore.

Never used gnome... but it looks cool...

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it