Date:      Thu, 23 May 2002 21:31:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jason Hunt <jhunt@lynden.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: msn messenger and freebsd

This URL from Microsoft talks about MSN and NAT:

http://messenger.microsoft.com/support/knownissues.asp

At the bottom it states:

Internet Connection Sharing using ICS/NAT

    * Currently, certain extended features of MSN Messenger, such as voice
conversations and file transfer, might not work behind Internet Connection
Sharing applications and hardware (often called NATs). Basic functionality
such as signing in, instant messaging, and checking e-mail should not be
affected at all.

They are basically telling you that you are screwed :)  However I am
usually not too quick to believe Microsoft on this kind of stuff.

I'm 99.9% sure that voice and video use the H.232 protocol.  In order to
do this behind NAT you would need an H.232 proxy, as Adam said.  I have
never tried to make H.232 work behind NAT, so I can't say how hard it
would be.

I do not believe that file transfers will work.  I'm not sure what
protocol is used.