Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 16:08:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Mike Francis <derf@netxxpress.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Mike Francis wrote:

> Hi
> I'm just learning FreeBSD
> How dor I access my cdRom and Floppy
> I was able to format a 1.44 Floppy but I'm not getting real far
> And could some one tell me how to tell make the root password protected
> and How do I make my own Kernel, I am using the Generic one

As root type the command 'passwd' at the prompt to assign a password to
the root user.

To access your cdrom and floppy you have to "hook them up" to unix
first. This is done by the mount command.

an example (not necessarily for your system)

$ mount /dev/fd0 /floppy

Read 'man mount' for more info.

Also read the handbook at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ . There is a
section for MSDOS users that may prove helpful.

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html