Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 04:45:52 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Portupgrade problem (mutt/gettext/msgfmt)

Trying to upgrade Mutt 1.2.5 using PortUpgrade.  Here's the command line I used:

	#portupgrade -RiL /var/tmp/portupgrade_ mutt

Results:

> [...]
>
> --->  Reporting the results (+:succeeded / -:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
>  + textproc/ispell (ispell-3.2.05_1)
>  + devel/gettext (gettext-0.10.35)
>  + devel/libslang (libslang-1.4.4_1)
>  ! textproc/urlview (urlview-0.9)	(No such file or directory -
>  "/tmp/portupgrade92405.0.lock") * mail/mutt (mutt-1.2.5)

(Is it possible some process goofed and deleted a file lock before some other
process was done with it, or ??)

Anyway, I upgraded urlview separately, seemed to work.  Then tried to update Mutt
again with portupgrade, and got this problem:

> [...]
>
> Making all in m4
> Making all in po
> file=./`echo de | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo  && rm -f $file && PATH=../src:$PATH msgfmt
> -o $file de.po
> msgfmt: not found
> *** Error code 127
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/mail/mutt/work/mutt-1.2.5.1/po
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/mail/mutt/work/mutt-1.2.5.1.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/mail/mutt/work/mutt-1.2.5.1.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/mail/mutt.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/mail/mutt.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/mail/mutt.
> ** Command failed: make clean build
> ** Fix the problem and try again.

So after a little research I see that these errors have to do with the
gettext package.  Well gettext is installed, but I tried force re-installing
it anyway, didn't help.

I looked for a "msgfmt" file, but the only one I could find was

	/usr/local/bin/msgfmt-new

Is this why it can't find the file?

Now it gets weirder.  I do pkg_info -a and the entry for mutt-1.2.5 now
looks like this:

>  mutt-1.2.5

>  S-Lang is a C programmer's library that includes routines for the rapid...

Oh my.  Something is terribly wrong here.  Is it possible that portupgrade, or
pkgdb -F or portsdb -uU screwed up my /var/db/pkg database?

OK so my last resort was to just remove mutt (pkg_deinstall -ci mutt) and try
re-installing it from the port.

Same msgfmt error.  Sigh.

Suggestions appreciated,

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium