Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 09:50:18 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        pcoyne@br-inc.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS request from unknown process.

On Fri, Sep 12, 1997 at 02:35:21PM -0600, pcoyne@br-inc.com wrote:
> I have a problem with a client machines asking my DNS server for an invalid
> (the machine name doesn't exist in DNS, nor should it) fully qualified
> hostname.  The request comes several times a second,  any pointers as to
> what processes on the client machines I should check first?
>

> I have grep'ed /etc for the culprit's config files but to no avail, is
> there a way to monitor on the client what process is making the call?

Hmm.  This isn't easy.  Do you know which client machine is involved?
If it's coming several times a second, you should see some activity
from the process in question (use top); at the same time, use tcpdump
to monitor the DNS activity (tcpdump port domain).  if you then
suspend the suspect process, you should then be able to confirm
whether you're looking at the right process by the drop in DNS
activity.

Greg