Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 20:49:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Nomenclature (fwd)

On 2001-07-11, Martin McCormick scribbled:

# 	Is FreeBSD-4.3 known by any other nomenclature?  I am
# having a discussion with someone who says that it has all kinds of
# security vulnerabilities besides the obvious ones that are
# created by people who operate their systems in a dangerous
# manner.  This person sent me this long list of vulnerabilities,
# some of which mention OpenBSD2.x or some other version of OpenBSD
# that isn't anywhere close to 4.3.
#
# 	I frankly haven't heard anything regarding
# vulnerabilities that mention FreeBSD-4.3 or even OpenBSD-4.3,
# assuming that is the same OS.

FreeBSD and OpenBSD are two different operating systems. FreeBSD is
geared towards the x86 architecture whereas OpenBSD is geared towards
having the most secure (by default) operating system for several
platforms.

The latest release version of FreeBSD is 4.3 whereas OpenBSD's more
recent release version is 2.2.

>>> I had a brain-fart whilst writing the sentence above... the most
recent version of OpenBSD is 2.9, not 2.2 as written above. Don't know
why... to make it worse, I had the 2.9 CD set sitting within 4 feet of
me when writing my reply. Ugh!!! Sorry :(

There is another BSD operating system called NetBSD (which it's most
recent release was 1.5.1) is geared to be the most flexible and portable
operating system. It supports at least 30 hardware platforms and more
each year.

OpenBSD was a "spin-off" or a "fork" of NetBSD... but I'd rather not go
into the details about that.

Each of the OS websites are:
http://www.freebsd.org
http://www.openbsd.org