Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:19:06 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        "Peter N. M. Hansteen" <peter@bsdly.net>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spammers harvesting emaill address from this list

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 11:10:38PM +0200, Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
> Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> writes:
>
> > 	If your user login is "smith", you could have all mailing
> > 	list mail sent to "smitty" and keep an open mutt or other reader
> > 	a click away.  Spam could be easily flagged ... .
>
> Yes, there are several things you could filter on.
>
> However the traplist activities are really about identifying spam
> sending hosts.  If a machine we have not exchanged mail with in recent
> times tries to deliver mail to something bizarre like
> <3c86y7xj60op.fsf@amidala.datadok.no> (which looks like it was actually
> based on a GNUS message-ID), the message is either spam or in some
> very rare cases a bounce message triggered by an attempt to deliver
> spam.

	I run my sendmail out to a number of filter sites, and have the
	greylist filtering.  /etc/mail/access catches at least several
	thousand spam messages a day; a tail -f maillog tells me that
	much. I just snagged your list of IP's and catted|awk'd the bunch
	into my access list.  TY, TY. STILL--and this really makes me
	angrier than it should--still, I get dozens of spams/day.  Would it
	be possible to filter on both the ^Subject: "A friend has sent you
	a Greeting card!" as well as the body? HTML or plaintext?  As
	soon as I see one (usually different) spam I know there well be
	several other similar or identical messages.  How difficult would
	it be to flag spam on "you"  "sent" "greeting card", for example?

	Plus the hundreds of variations on "Are  you enough of a man?"
	and the ones for some kind of pills?  Or home loans at 5.1%!!!
	(*mumble*)

> > 	I'm bcc'ing this to my account with evolution to check out your
> > 	blog info.  I've run into problems with spamd and other suites.
>
> I would be interested in hearing what the problems were.  It's worth noting
> that spamd from OpenBSD 4.1 onwards differs in several important ways from
> earlier versions.  And also, it's important not to confuse this spamd with
> the program with the same name out of spamassassin.

	It's been years since I looked at spamassassin.  > 5.  Maybe
	three since I last got into a Snit, :), over this and checked out
	spamd?  It just  seemed like at least days of studying, followed
	by more days of integration.

	Is there any spamd documentation that follows a cookbook model?
	Do A, B, C, and you're done!  I've found that a couple examples
	are worth ten thousand words.

	thanks again,

	gary

--