Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 10:05:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM>
To:        tom@sdf.com
Cc:        Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM, michaelv@MindBender.serv.net, toj@gorilla.net, freebsd-hardware@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: supermicro p6sns/p6sas

Quoth Tom on Sun, 28 September:
: > The supporting argument is insufficient for the conclusion.  AMD and
: > Cyrix are actively engaged in providing alternate paths to cache.  One
: > proposed solution is to make a low-profile Socket 7 module with an
: > on-board cache controller, making the Socket 7 interface effectively
: > a point-to-point bus -- analogous to Slot 1.
:
:   None of these methods exist yet.

Compare the MediaGX.  "Proposed" in the sense of proposed for
industry standardization.

:   Is CPU performance measured in months now? :)

I was not thinking about CPUs, but CPU development paths.  To my mind,
the performance comparison of different development paths
(application-based, rather than feature-based -- so this principle can
apply equally well to comparing Alpha to clone-86 or name-your-poison)
is best done, not in terms of raw performance of the best exemplar at
any given moment, but rather, by how long a given performance point of
one development path (i.e.  performance of best exemplar, or perhaps
best exemplar at a given cost-benefit-point, depending on the planning
purposes of the metric) lags behind the equivalent point in the
development cycle of another path.  This approach is much more useful
for purposes of technology management (e.g. in an enterprise) than is
raw benchmarking -- and I see no reason why I should not apply the same
rationale to my personal purchase planning, on a smaller scale.  But
for some people/situations, all that matters is what runs make world
fastest within your budget, or whatever.  We can all read the
benchmarks, eh?

: I'm little dubious about how well AMD
: can make it work.  K6, due to bugs, was unable to run FreeBSD reliably up
: until a few weeks ago (see archives about which stepping are known to
: work, and which are not).

And we all know that Intel has had no major Pentium or PPro bugs?
(BIG smiley face on that one.)  Frankly I don't see any reasonable
argument to the effect that AMD or Cyrix are less technically
competent than Intel -- quite the contrary, given track records (and
the fact that the AMD/Cyrix task is much more difficult than the
Intel task).

:   Also, you can use socket 8 processors in a slot 1 with an adapter.

Where can I learn about this?