Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 15:11:17 GMT
From:      "J.Goodleaf" <john@goodleaf.net>
To:        caroluis@australia.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: informo.....

Carol,
You've got the wrong list. This list is about the FreeBSD operating system,
a robust unix operating system. You probably want to hit www.be.com and
check out their information links if you want info on BeOS.

For the record though, BeOS can be dual booted and comes with (or came with
anyway; it's been a while for me) a reasonably good boot manager. Its
primary interface is a GUI although it can run a mostly-complete UNIX style
CLI. It used to come with many major GNU tools as well, which could be run
in the terminal program. I once did my C programming homework on BeOS using
the GNU C compiler that ran in its terminal.

It does multitasking and multithreading, fully buzzword compliant. In fact,
BeOS may be the snazziest OS out there in many ways. It does lack
application support!

Since you're here, you may want to check out FreeBSD (www.freebsd.org) which
is also buzzword compliant (though its symmetric multiprocessing performance
can't touch that of BeOS). FreeBSD happens to be my fave, has many
applications, is very robust and stable (much more so than Be) and is also
quite fast. It can be dual booted as well, but it's primary interface is
CLI. It can, of course, be made to run a GUI--actually any one of a couple
of dozen GUIs I guess.
Good luck,
John