Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 15:29:24 -0500
From:      "Gooderum, Mark" <mark@jumpweb.com>
To:        "'Bruce M. Walter'" <walter@fortean.com>, Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        "Gooderum, Mark" <mark@jumpweb.com>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD on Alpha Multia (

> > > Issue 2 - Random crashes...
> Yes.  On my multia.  I shot some messages through this list approximately
> a month ago.  I wound up building my tree on my Miata and sending it over
> the net to the Multia.
>
> The best guess before was dodgy hardware, most likely the memory....

My memory should be pretty good.  I've got 64M of DEC branded true parity
RAM salvaged from an old 590XL (more recently known as Celebris') that has
functioned fine in other systems.

I've been wondering if it's dodgy hardware due to Thermal Loading.  The
Multia Service manual says the machine should be a maximum internal air
temperature of 40 Deg. Cent. which is only 104 Deg. Far. which really isn't
very warm.  The area of the MB around the Alpha chip and the Alpha chip heat
sink gets up to right below the pain threshold, which makes it about 130-140
Deg Far.  I don't have a decent thermometer anymore for actually measuring
the air temp in the case.

At one point I got a series of ncr0 firmware errors similar to those
mentioned earlier, shut the system down and let it cool for a while and
those problems went away.

Subjectively the box seems to stay cooler in a horizontal mode than vertical
in the little plastic stand supplied.  I think part of the problem is
vertical as the stand put's it, the P/S fan is blowing _against_ natural
convection accross the Alpha CPU's heat sink.
--
Mark