Date:      Thu, 06 Sep 2007 22:28:48 -0300
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jo=E3o_Carlos_Mendes_Lu=EDs?= <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dumb question about DES/MD5 in /etc/master.passwd

    This question must be really dumb, but I cannot find its answer.

    In a somewhat recently updated RELENG_6 FreeBSD, whenever I run the
program /usr/bin/passwd to change an users password, it encrypts the
password using DES.  I have already configured /etc/login.conf for MD5,
but it still goes with DES:

*$ grep passwd /etc/login.conf
        :passwd_format=md5:\
#       :passwd_format=des:\
$*

    What could I be doing wrong?

    If that matters, this system has been receiving system and /etc
upgrades since Sep/2003.  Maybe some old configuration has been left
around...

    Thanks in advance,

                                        Jonny

--