Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 19:54:40 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        "Nickolay A.Kritsky" <nkritsky@internethelp.ru>
Cc:        Maximum <m-a-x-i-m-u-m@mail.ru>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trojan injected in my Freebsd 4.1-RELEASE

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 07:58:53PM +0400, Nickolay A.Kritsky wrote:
> Hello Maximum,
>
> Wednesday, August 01, 2001, 6:24:17 PM, you wrote:
>

> M>  Hi everybody,
>
> M> today I've got security report from my FreeBSD box that some suid files changed. That was /usr/bin/netstat, /usr/bin/fstat and /usr/bin/quote.
>
> M> Using chkproc programm from Nelson Murilo found at pangeia.com.br I found one stealth process. Running clean ps command i found ssh daemon sshd daemon named 'swapper' in process list. This daemon
> M> is attached to 50505 port. Also i found directory with other hacker's scripts and one of them contained full list of changed binaries
> M> that was : ps,ls,netstat,fstat,ldconfig and telnetd
>
> Looks strange to me. The list of changed setuid binaries is not the
> same,as in your security report. You should better check this out.

This is normal, and easily explained: of the listed changed binaries,
only netstat and fstat are setgid.  None of the others is either setuid
or setgid, so they wouldn't be listed in the security report.

G'luck,
Peter

--
You have, of course, just begun reading the sentence that you have just finished reading.