Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 01:37:18 -0500
From:      Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sorting and Matching options for ls(1)

Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com> writes:
> Now make it do one (or either) and only display the filenames:
>
> bash-2.05$ ./ls -Ss /bin
> tcsh            unlink          cp              test            sleep
> csh             rm              chmod           mkdir           echo
> sh              mv              cat             kill            rmail
> ls              red             df              link            sync
> pax             ed              chio            ln
> rcp             expr            realpath        hostname
> ps              dd              pwd             domainname
> date            stty            [               rmdir
>

> I made all the same arguments to the users who adamantly requested both,
> and was told resoundingly that resorting to a pipe with combinations of
> grep, sort, and awk was not acceptable.  You could at least assume I know
> how to read a man page, and use sort and grep.

Now, here's the easy part: add new alias entries to the default .cshrc
with new magical ls(1) outputs.

There is absolutely no reason to add more functionality, that can be
handled with other utilities, to ls(1).  The fact that ls(1) does
column arranging and N other things is bad enough.

Best regards,
Mike Barcroft