Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 17:39:41 +0800
From:      Benjamin Lim <fade@infolink.net>
To:        freebsd-install@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Install problem with 2.2 Snap

Hi there. I'm having some trouble installing the latest version of FreeBSD
2.2 Snap.

I've downloaded most of the important files and placed it in the c:\freebsd
directory:

c:\freebsd\bin
c:\freebsd\doct
c:\freebsd\doc
c:\freebsd\floppies
c:\freebsd\games
c:\freebsd\info
c:\freebsd\manpages
c:\freebsd\proflibs
c:\freebsd\xf86312

Why i got FreeBSD 2.2 snap was because it is the only version of Freebsd
that supports my Hard Disk controller which is an adaptec 7850. Here are the
specs of my system from the manual:

P54TS--CPU Pentium P54C/P55C with a Pentium 166 Chip
Adaptec PCI Fast scsi-2 port
Dual enhanced IDE ports
256K pipeline burst cache on board
two 16550 Uart Ports
ECP/EPP/SPP/Bi-direction parallel port
Upto 2.88 MB FDC port

Bios: Award Bios, p&p setup for adaptec scsi. enhanced ide and multi-OP.
Both flash rom.
Fast/wide/ultra SCSI-2 Interface: P54TS built in Adaptec AIC-7850 chip for
PCI fast scsi-2
Date Transfer rate up to 10MB/Sec for 8 bit Fast SCSI-2

I have 32 MB of ram.

The other stuff is not relevent so i dont' think i will print it.

My hard disk is a Hawk 2LP Family: ST32430N/ND 2 GIGS

Checking with PFDISK, this is the info it prints out:

# Partition table on device: 0
geometry 261 255 63 (cyls heads sectors)
#  ID  First(cyl)  Last(cyl)  Name  # start, length (sectors)
1   6      0        197       DOSbi # 63, 3180807

(there is no partition 2 because i havn't created the freebsd partition yet)

When I try and Install FREEBSD, at the start of the bin distrubution and the
others I get this error:

"Write failure on transfer! (wrote -1 bytes of 10240 bytes)"

What is the problem? I am installing from another partition of my hard disk
and as far as I can tell, freebsd install doesn't even read from it but only
displays the error!
           _ _
Benjamin  | (_)_ __ ___  a.k.a FaDe
          |_|_|_| |_| |_|http://www.infolink.net/~fade/