Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 19:06:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Subject:   Re: remote printing to an HP DeskJet500

	The past 48 hours have been a learning experience in
	trying to get my DeskJet to print networked.  Over my
	ethernet cable from ``sage'' my 6x86 box to ``tao'' my
	old P90 that has the DJ500 hanging off /dev/lpt0.

	In case anyone else had similar problems, this brief
	write up may hopefully help.

	Given a similar network, if you have any trouble with `lpr'
	on your remote system, and having dropped into /etc/printcap
	something similar to this:

remote|sample remote printer:\
       :rm=lphost:sd=/var/spool/output/lphost:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

       or

lp|remote:\
        :rp=hp500:rm=tao.thought.org:sd=/var/spool/output/tao:\
	:lp=:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

	the _first_ thing to check is your network configuration
	in /etc/rc.conf.   Being able to ping your local//private
	sites is not enough.  You should be able to ping anywhere
	from any of your machines.  If you cannot, you probably
	won't be able to remote lpr.

	This is what had me stalled for 30-40 hours.  I had my
	routing done correctly typed in by hand on my 6x86; the
	system was up for around two weeks and when I finally
	rebooted, my network config wasn't set up correctly in
	/etc/rc.conf.  It wasn't until I tried lynx to fetch
	a port from sage that I realized something was hosed.

	After 45 minutes of trying different configurations I
	could finally ping an outside site.  And shortly after
	that my printer came to life, and dumped the queued pages.

	Other problems that may not be evident are missing
	directories in /var/spool; permissions, ownerships;
	missing daemons (lpd, in this case).

	Thanks gratefully noted to David Wolfskill and Doug White!

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix