Date:      24 Apr 2000 03:26:51 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing ports maintainers

Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net> wrote:

> I'm not arguing in any way if the maintainers involved have been active,
> inactive, or comatose ... I'm arguing if moving from having a maintainer
> that answers only rarely if at all, is really worse than having no
> maintainer at all.

Yes, it is. If I send in a PR with a bug fix or update and the
maintainer is a committer, the PR will be assigned to him. If he's
inactive, that PR will go down the drain. The maintainer doesn't
handle it, and nobody else will touch it since it's assigned to
the maintainer.

I distinctly remember being very unhappy about a certain Chuck
Robey choking off any updates to the xpdf port for months.

If the maintainer is ports@freebsd.org, some random committer is
likely to take care of the PR.

(Of course it happens occasionally that a PR is still ignored...
Could somebody PLEASE take care of #17451?)
--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de