Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:33:03 -0400
From:      Jim Durham <durham@jcdurham.com>
To:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
Cc:        "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>, Steve Warwick <ukla@attbi.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oops! rc.conf mistake

On Wednesday 23 October 2002 11:27 am, Jack L. Stone wrote:
> At 11:09 AM 10.23.2002 -0400, Jim Durham wrote:
> >Jack L. Stone wrote:

> editors.

> motherboard

> >> I have noticed that some CD-ROM drives will make the system think it=
 is
> >> on a non-compliant cable or UDMA33. For instance, this from dmesg on=
 one
> >> machine with an older CD_ROM drive.
> >>
> >> "ata1-master: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 compliant cable" If I
> >> change to a newer CD player, it's okay.
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Jack L. Stone,
> >> Administrator
> >>
> >> SageOne Net
> >> http://www.sage-one.net
> >> jackstone@sage-one.net

> >> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
> >
> >This may sound wierd, but I had this problem when I had the hard
> >drives on the 2nd IDE interface and the CD on the 1st IDE interface.
> >Reversing the cables and changing /etc/fstab fixed the problem.
> >This was on an A-Open motherboard.
> >
> >-Jim
>
> That IS wierd! Usually the problem is limited to being on the same
> cable.....

You bet!  I originally made a mistake identifying the IDE connectors, and
I put the hard drives on connector 2 and the CD on connector 1. I saw
this when I ran sysintall, but I had put a zillion screws in the box and
I said, "FreeBSD doesn't care...so I'll leave it" and I installed it that=
 way.
Same message you got...ad4 limited to 33mhz, etc. So, I took the box
apart, changed cables (although I already had 80 conductor cables on
it) and tried various sysctl options. All no go. Finally, I thought since=
 I=20
had the box open now, I'd make the cables right and fix /etc/fstab.
Voila! Now the drives report 133 on boot.  Go figure...

-Jim