Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 23:24:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Tom Uffnera <tom@wact.net>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sony vaio xg9 reccomendations?

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Tom Uffnera wrote:

> any suggestions for the best FreeBSD configuration for a Sony VAIO
> PCG-XG9 ? I unfortunately need to leave win98 on it, although I can
> reduce the size of the partition it lives in. i run -current on most
> of my machines, but so far i have no recent experience with running
> FreeBSD on a laptop (not since 2.2.2)

I will be using -current on my new laptop. I plan to cut the FAT partition
down to 500MB or so if I can  and then to use vmware to access it, rather
than run w98 native (if i can).

> from what i've seen on the current & hackers lists it seems like 4.0 is
> probably not the best option at the moment, but i haven't had much of
> a chance to look at how things work in 3.3 w/ or w/o PAO

4.0 is apparently struggling  to life on laptops but its still a bit dodgy
I hear. I'm hoping to get first hand experience of this soon :-)